Sadie Patton (1886-1975) gave to local education, with words, money and deeds. She donated 109 farm acres for Blue Ridge Technical Institute (now Blue Ridge Community College), in memory of her late husband Preston F. Patton. The administration building is named for him, and Patton Auditorium hosts hundreds of college and community events. Also in 1968, she donated 20 acres for Patton Park. Sadie Patton is best know for her 1947 book, “The Story of Henderson County,” which is still regarded as one of the definitive accounts of county history. She served on the executive board of the N.C. Department of Archives and History from 1941 until 1957. She worked as secretary for the local Board of Trade, and as a senior court reader in most area counties.
2013 Education Hall of Fame